Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Un-Entertainer

A couple weeks ago I hosted a bridal shower. It was perhaps the first formal-ish occasion I've ever hosted all by myself. And I can say with absolute certainty that I do NOT enjoy entertaining. I was just reading The Kitchn when I came across a post about dinner parties. The thought of hosting a real Martha Stewart grown-up party kind of makes me break out into hives. It positively sounds like one of the absolute LAST things I would ever want to do on this earth.

When my friends and I got our first apartment during college, we were all "Let's have dinner parties!" basically so we would have excuse to buy cute things. We had parties, and there was food, but they weren't like, dinner parties. My entertaining style is decidedly lax. I'm all for having people over (motivation to keep my house clean), but we basically just invite a few friends and do super casual food, and people can bring their own drinks and basically take care of themselves.

I think anything above pot luck or BYOB is too much for me to handle. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. It's not that I don't care about people, I just don't want to be responsible for their drinks and their satisfaction or even the quality of the food. Note to self: I should definitely never wait tables. All the prep, the fuss over décor and "table scapes" (gag me) and the menu... No. Thanks.

I'm sure the bridal shower won't actually be the last thing I ever host where I actually have to make a solid effort to please/impress. I just hope my future guests will be content with my uber-simplified approach. Compostable plates, WHAT. Store-bought veggie tray, YEAH I SAID IT. I'm definitely not looking to win any Hostess With The Mostest awards. Because to me, a Hostess is just something that is chocolate with squiggly frosting. And I think that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment