Hello there and welcome to my blog. Here are 30 things about me, which more or less describe my "living condition." Signs and symptoms, if you will.
1. I am 26. Help.
2. I went to school to learn about communications, journalism, and advertising.
3. I'm now going to school to learn about germs, medicine, and healing.
4. I'm from the Midwest, born and raised!
5. But I also lived for a year in northern California. It is an amazing place.
6. I love witty, intelligent humor.
7. I love thought-provoking, mind-bending, yet funny and quotable TV shows.
8. I often hate thought-provoking and deep, intellectual movies.
9. My favorite movies are light and often stupid romantic comedies and indie comedies, and anything by the Coen brothers.
10. My favorite thing in the world is to laugh.
11. My dream job, if I could stomach living L.A. (which I can't) would probably be to write for TV.
12. I grew up around a bunch of nature-loving freaks. Therefore, I generally hated outdoor activities while I was growing up (because I am a rebel, you see).
13. That changed when I moved to the most beautiful place in the world (California). Especially when I visited Yosemite National Park for the first time. It took my breath away.
14. Now I'm all 'one with nature' and shit.
15. I try to be healthy and eco-conscious as much as possible.
16. I support small, local businesses.
17. I love the notion of urban homesteading and my husband, "the Homeboy," and I, have implemented several practices such as gardening, preserving, and even simple things like hanging our clothes out on the line to dry instead of using the dryer.
18. I try to cook as much as I can from scratch, but when I'm terribly busy, I have been known to live off of frozen pizza for an entire week.
19. I love farmers' markets.
20. I love riding my bike! I ride a Bianchi Milano. I am interested but not terribly committed to the idea of purchasing a used road bike or a mountain bike.
21. The public library makes me happy.
22. While I love going to the library and looking at books, I'm sad to say I don't read for pleasure as often as I'd like.
23. I mostly read non-fiction books. In order to get me to read a novel, it has to come either highly recommended from a trusted source with compatible taste or from an author I've read before.
24. I used to write fiction obsessively when I was younger. I am a good writer. I might take it up again. But I have yet to fall in love with a story idea.
25. I struggle with my personal finances--whether it's avoiding the Satanic Siren of the credit card or just avoiding unnecessary purchases, it's no fun.
26. Zen Habits basically changed my life. I strive for minimalism. Even though when you walk into my house you'd have no idea, since clutter is something that seems to reproduce exponentially in my habitat.
27. I really, really, really want lots of tattoos. On my back, shoulder and on my forearm especially. This probably will never happen, because apparently tattoo artists like to be paid.
28. Music has always been a big part of my (and my family's) life ever since I was young. I play piano, although not as much as I'd like to. I love indie rock and "alterna-country" artists like Neko Case and the Drive-By Truckers.
29. I love to sew and knit things (when I have time).
30. My real name is not CW. I use those initials because I am on the lam from the Internets and I couldn't think of a better alias. Basically, for anonymity. Because the Internets can be a little scary sometimes.